Beautiful silk bustle dress in brown and gold. I believe this dress dates from around 1876, as I found fashion illustrations with similar styles, including the buttons down the back, in 1876 issues of Peterson's Magazine and Demorest's.
Unfortunately the dress is missing its underskirt, which is why the proportions look off (there should be more length to the skirt), but it is still lovely and would be a wonderful study piece.
+++ Measurements +++
+++ Condition +++
Condition overall for this dress is quite good, especially considering age. It is not particularly fragile and has held up well. However, there are some flaws to note:
- Underskirt missing
- A couple of missing buttons, remaining are mismatched and not original
- A few places with loose stitching in the complicated bustle of the skirt
- A strap in the skirt lining has torn free in one place (still attached on one side)
- A few faint stains/discolorations
- A couple of very small holes
- Waist closures missing on skirt
- Some armpit discoloration in the lining of the bodice
Although this piece is quite strong, due to its age I would not recommend it for wearing.
+++ Please read +++
This item is not new, and as such, it has wear commensurate with age. As with all older vintage and antique items, please handle with care.
All items are sold as-is, and I do my best to point out all condition issues and provide a detailed description and photographs.
Unless specified, items have not been cleaned.
I do not accept returns or offer refunds. Please see all photos, read the entire description, and ask any questions before purchasing.